What Should You Do If You Are Sexually Harassed at Work?


Are you experiencing sexual harassment at work? Workplace sexual harassment is illegal and can be in the form of creating a hostile work environment or quid pro quo sexual harassment.

Hostile work environment is the unlawful harassment of a person, either a job applicant or an employee, because of that person’s gender. The harassment can be unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, as well as other verbal or physical harassment of a sexual nature.

Quid pro quo harassment occurs when an employer, usually a supervisor or manager, tries to make the employee’s submission to sexual advances a condition of his or her employment. The verbalized or implied threat is that if the employee does not comply, he or she will suffer adverse employment-related actions including termination, demotion, loss in pay, failure to promote, demotion or loss of benefits.

5 Steps To Take if You Feel That You Are Being Sexually Harassed at Work

  1. Document. Write down the place, date and time of any situations of sexual harassment. Include witness names, if any. Document comments, threats, offers, different treatment and all comments that you feel are inappropriate. Record examples of harassment treatment aimed at others as well. Be sure to keep your notes in a safe place – not your work computer. Use your home computer or keep paper notes in a pocketbook or briefcase.
  2. Collect evidence. Keep copies of harassing texts and emails and don’t delete them. Gather other communications such as notes and cards. Take a screenshot of social media photos and posts as well as texts. Print out emails.
  3. Report harassment at work. You must do this first before pursuing any legal options. Follow the steps in your sexual harassment policy and report what you have experienced in writing. List all specifics and ask that your employer take action. If the harassing activity continues, report it again.
  4. File a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). This is the next step to take if your employer does not take action. Generally, a charge must be filed with the EEOC in New Jersey within 180 days from the date of the alleged violation. Filing a charge of harassment with the EEOC protects you from retaliation by your employer.
  5. Consult with an attorney. A lawyer who is experienced in New Jersey sexual harassment law can help bolster your case and work to get you the compensation you deserve for any physical and emotional harm you have experienced because of workplace sexual harassment.

Let Us Know If You are Experiencing Workplace Sexual Harrassment

If you or a family member has experienced sexual assault or sexual harassment of any kind or has been injured in an accident or by any other type of personal injury, or needs help with any employment discrimination or family law issue, please contact the Law Offices of Paul S. Foreman, P.C. immediately. We have the right experience to get the optimal results for your case. Please call us for a free consultationAttorney Paul S. Foreman, personal injury attorney in Livingston, will fight to secure justice for you and your family. You can reach us at 973-315-3232 or contact us via the website.