How To Report Sexual Harassment in the Workplace


If you are being sexually harassed at work, do you know how to report it?

Workplace sexual harassment is illegal in the U.S. and employers are obligated to investigate any reports of this behavior. In large part because of the #MeToo movement, many more victims are coming forward to report harassment and sexual misconduct of any kind.

However, many victims don’t exactly know what steps to take if they are being harassed at work.

What To Do If You Experience Sexual Harassment at Work

Sexual harassment at work can take many forms, from the promise of a job promotion in exchange for sexual favors to sexual jokes and graphic comments about another’s body.  

Here are steps that you can take if you feel that you have been subjected to any form of sexual harassment:

  • Check your company handbook for its sexual harassment policy. If you feel that what occurred violates company policy, no matter how insignificant it may seem, and that the behavior made you uncomfortable, it’s time to report it. 
  • Begin keeping a detailed written record of all related incidents, including the date, time, perpetrator, location and any witnesses. Use paper rather than your work computer and print out any supporting emails or text messages.
  • Don’t delay taking action – generally, sexual harassment claims in New Jersey must be filed within 2 years of the adverse employment action. 
  • Report the harassment to your human resources representative in writing via the process outlined in your handbook. You can also report it to your manager or anyone in management at your organization. All are obliged to begin an investigation into your claim.
  • If you are uncomfortable reporting the behavior to your manager or even to HR, make a report to the New Jersey Division on Civil Rights or the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
  • You can request that your identity as complainant be kept confidential.
  • If your employer does not initiate an investigation into your claim, submit a follow-up complaint in writing. 

If an investigation is not begun or if the investigation does not appear to be thorough, it’s time to consult with an experienced attorney about the sexual harassment at work. Let our firm go to work for you to protect your workplace rights in any claim of workplace harassment.

Read more about sexual harassment at work in our blogs on Quid Pro Quo Harassment and Hostile Work Environment.

We Can Help If You Have Experienced Sexual Harassment at Work

If you or a family member has experienced sexual assault or sexual harassment of any kind or has been injured in an accident or by any other type of personal injury, or needs help with any employment discrimination or family law issue, please contact the Law Offices of Paul S. Foreman, P.C. immediately. We have the right experience to get the optimal results for your case. Please call us for a free consultationAttorney Paul S. Foreman, personal injury attorney in Roseland, will fight to secure justice for you and your family. You can reach us at 973-315-3232 or contact us via the website.