Home Care Workers: What Is Their Recourse in the Event of Sexual Harassment?


Behind the high-profile cases like Harvey Weinstein, Bill Cosby and Kevin Spacey, there are thousands of others who experience sexual harassment out of the public eye. 

The Hollywood and Washington cases have received the most public attention, but sexual harassment and abuse happen in almost every industry. 89% of home health workers are female and have a high probability of experiencing sexual assault and harassment on the job.

Home Health Care Workers: Vulnerable and Unsupported

By nature of their jobs, home health care workers provide care in the homes of their employers and are often alone. There are examples, particularly with the elderly, where the worker may abuse the client.

But often unreported are examples where the home care worker experiences sexual harassment or sexual abuse at the hands of their client. What recourse do these workers have? Many home health agencies are small employers that don’t have comprehensive human resources staff. 

Often, the victim of sexual harassment in a client’s home may be working with a person with cognitive issues such as dementia. The worker also may not have a direct supervisor who is able to advocate on their behalf. 

In fact, the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) flagged a decentralized workforce, including those who provide in-home care, among one of the risk factors for harassment. Those professions where the workers are separate from the employing agency have a high potential for these cases because of, for example, the limited communication between business levels.

Home care workers should ask for an up-to-date equal employment opportunity policy which should explain what to do in the case of sexual harassment or abuse.

Let Us Know If You Have Been a Victim of Sexual Abuse 

If you or a family member has experienced bullying or sexual assault or sexual harassment of any kind, or has been injured in an accident or by any other type of personal injury, or needs help with any employment discrimination or family law issue, please contact the Law Offices of Paul S. Foreman, P.C. immediately. We have the right experience to get the optimal results for your case. Please call us for a free consultation.  Attorney Paul S. Foreman, personal injury attorney in Essex County, will fight to secure justice for you and your family. You can reach us at 973-315-3232 or contact us via the website.