Do Minor Car Accidents Have To Be Reported in New Jersey?


If you are involved in a minor car accident, such as a “fender bender” or a scrape, in New Jersey, you may wonder if you must report the accident to the police.

In our state, if you are involved in a car crash, you are obligated to file a report with the police as soon as possible if the accident resulted in:

  • Injury

  • Fatality

  • Vehicle or other property damage in excess of $500 (estimated)

Typically, the quickest means of communicating an accident is by calling 911 on your cell phone. If you cannot do this, for whatever reason, go to the nearest police department and file a report in person. If you don’t file this report within ten days, you may have your license suspended and incur a fine.

Note that you should not hesitate to call the police to a crash scene no matter how serious the accident is.

What To Do If You Are in a Minor Car Accident

  • Check everyone for injuries and call 911 for any that you observe. Try not to move anyone who has been injured.

  • Call 911 for a fatality or any property damage in excess of $500. Give the dispatcher all requested information and follow all instructions.

  • Do not move the vehicles unless you are instructed to do so.

  • Get identifying information to other involved drivers and give them yours. Obtain name, address, car registration, and driver’s license number.

  • Try to avoid any confrontation with others who were involved in the accident. Road rage is all too prevalent today. Remain in your car with the doors locked if necessary.

  • Don’t apologize or indicate fault in any way, as these may be used against you in a personal injury claim.

  • Record the scene, all injuries and property damage, and road markings and signs with photos.

  • Get witness names and contact information.

  • Call your insurance company to report the accident.

Even a minor collision may result in an injury that may not be apparent at the time. If you refuse emergency medical care at the scene, visit your doctor or an emergency room soon to get checked out.


After any accident and even before contacting your insurance company, it’s important to consult with an attorney experienced in New Jersey accidents to discuss appropriate compensation for your injuries.

Let Us Help If You Have Been Involved in a Minor Accident

If you or a family member has experienced bullyingsexual assaultsexual harassment of any kind, or has been injured in an  accident or by any other type of personal injury, or needs help with any employment discrimination or family law issue, please contact the Essex County Law Offices of Paul S. Foreman, P.C. immediately. We have the right experience to get the optimal results for your case. Please call us for a free consultationAttorney Paul S. Foreman, a personal injury attorney in Roseland, will fight to secure justice for you and your family. You can reach us at 973-315-3232 or contact us via the website.